Monday, May 11, 2009

Fighting Tooth and Nail


So, for those of you who have never had to cut a baby's finger nails, let me put it into some perspective for you. Cutting a baby's fingernails is like chasing a greased piglet on a sheer glacier with corn oil raining down upon you. In short, near impossible! I remember the first time I clipped Dillon's finger nails, I was so proud, I waited until my little man fell asleep in his bouncy seat and I gingerly clipped each little nail, he was probably a week or so old. I was SO proud of myself! Pathetic, I know, but for a brand new, first time mom with little to no sleep, this was like climbing Everest! To this day, I have never knicked Dillon, not even once, not even close (knock on wood), but for whatever reason, when I try to clip his nails, he screams as though I am ripping his hair out strand by strand, as though I've actually cut his entire finger off! Man, it's so annoying! He actually bit my inner wrist today while I was cutting his nails and left four deep tooth marks- a vector bite! Today, I found my new secret weapon! Clipping his nails while he is watching sports on TV. Yes, it looks as though my little man is going to follow in Daddy's Sports Center footsteps! So, once again, I won the fingernail battle, and for another 5-7 days my baby will not have Freddy Kreuger claws that slice and dice everyone, including his precious face! A great big "good luck" to all of you who have yet to do this, and a "congratulations" to those of you who actually get through all 10 fingers successfully in one shot!

2 comments:

  1. I've clipped Andy's thumbs...Twice. And he still lets me do it...This will no doubt come back to haunt me ten-fold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That reminds me - I need to cut Jon Jon's talons! Cute post!

    ReplyDelete