Saturday, May 9, 2009

Snakes, Snails, and Puppy Dog Tails
















I am a firm believer that pets enhance the quality of a family. Growing up I had 14 Siberian Huskies, a Standard Poodle, lots of fish, 2 cats, and now we have Chloe, our Miniature English Bulldog. I will admit, Chloe is SPOLIED beyond belief, treated quite human. She sleeps in our bed, she rides on the center console in the car- unless there is no one in the passenger seat, then she is Chloe Guilbault, Navigator, First Class! Well, when I had Dillon I was a little worried about how Chloe was going to handle it. Upon bringing Dillon home, I was pleasently surprised! Chloe was oh so curious to meet this new little person that was undoubtedly coming to live. She was immediately gentle, kind, and protective of our new precious life, and it was her baby as much as he was ours! Perhaps treating her like a human member of the family paid off, or perhaps I am just that psycho pet owner that indulges their fur baby as much as their real baby! Now, Dillon has loved Chloe from Day 1. She is one of the first things he truly recognized by name and I think his first "words" are actually "snarfs" like Chloe makes! Sad, but true. Chloe is maybe a foot and a half tall and weighs 30lbs. Not a huge dog, but not a Tea Cup Poodle. There are girls that live in our dorm that are so petrified of Chloe that they actually stand on the counter and yell as though a rodent has just attacked them! It is so ridiculous looking! I try to explain to them that when they carry on like a bunch of psychos, Chloe actually thinks they are playing with her! I explain that she really just wants to eat all the things they drop on the floor and could care less about them, but it doesn't really seem to make sense. I guess that's what happens when you see an animal you might normally eat running around the kitchen! Anyways, I try to show these ridiculous girls that Chloe is in fact gentle enough that I can let Dillon climb all over her and she won't react. Dillon can crawl over to her food bowl while she is eating and stick his hand in the dish and she moves out of the way. He pulls her jowels, pets her a little harder than necssary, and loves to twist her ears. Chloe "grins" and bears it. She is amazing. They are now to the point where he will throw a ball for her and she will get it and bring it back to him, but my most recent Chloe-Dillon interaction to laugh at is the oh so fun game of Chloe playing with her own toys and Dillon chasing her and then lying flat on the floor and crying because she doesn't want to play with him! Dispite their toy baskets being next to each other on the floor, she has not once destroyed one of his toys and almost never steals them! She is such a good girl and I am so happy to see Dillon making a connection with "someone" other than Steve or I and to see how genuinely he loves her! His most recent activity is to crawl up to a sleeping Chloe and snuggle right in to her!

1 comment:

  1. Haha, too funny! Andy is fascinated by our dogs and doesn't seem the least bit frightened by them, even though Koda is a complete spaz and Murphy is a total bull in a china shop. I hope he grows up with that inherent love of animals that we have and that Dillon has, too.

    ReplyDelete